Founded in 1975, Cystic Fibrosis Research, Incorporated (CFRI) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. EIN #51-0169988
CFRI received 4 stars from Charity Navigator and is recognized as a top-rated charity by GreatNonprofits.
Cystic Fibrosis Research, Incorporated funds research, provides educational and personal support, and spreads awareness of cystic fibrosis (CF), a life-threatening genetic disease.
As we work to find a cure for cystic fibrosis, CFRI seeks to inform, engage and empower the CF community to reach the highest possible quality of life.
CFRI Provides Vital
Education and Resources
- CFRI’s annual National Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Conference brings together those impacted by CF – including patients, families, care teams, and scientists – with experts in the field of CF for a weekend of information and support. CFRI's 29th National Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Conference is scheduled from July 29, 2016 to July 31, 2016 at Sofitel San Francisco Bay. Register Now! Click here.
- The CF Discovery Series presents interactive sessions on a variety of vital CF topics. Accessible to the global CF community, presentations are livestreamed, and available on CFRI’s website. For more information about our CF Discovery Series events, click here.
- "CFRI Community," CFRI’s newsletter, is delivered to 15,000 addresses across the globe four times per year; the Spanish-language edition, "CFRI Comunidad," is distributed twice annually. To download a copies of our newsletter, click here. To receive news updates by mail or email, click here.
CFRI Funds Innovative Research
- Research is conducted at the finest institutions nationwide, including Stanford University, the University of California (UC) San Francisco, UC San Diego, UC Davis, University of Southern California, San Diego State University, University of Washington Seattle, University of Alabama Birmingham, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute. For a list of recently funded research, click here.
CFRI Provides Family and Community Support
- CFRI provides a monthly CF Caregivers Support Group, which is facilitated by a social worker well versed in issues facing CF caregivers. This support group is open to those able to participate in person, as well as to participants nationwide by telephone. Our CF Caregivers Support Group is held every fourth Tuesday of the month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm PST. For those who wish to participate from afar, the call-in number is 1-605-475-2090; access code: 7738539#. For those wishing to attend in person, the group will meet at CFRI’s office: 1731 Embarcadero Road, Suite 210, Palo Alto.
- Our annual "Embrace" Mothers Retreat and CF Summer Retreat for young adults with CF, their family and friends, provides support, education and fun in a safe environment. Our "Embrace" Mothers Retreat is scheduled from April 15 to April 17, 2016 at Vallombrosa Center in Menlo Park, California, and our CF Summer Retreat is scheduled from August 16 to August 21, 2016 at the same location. Please save the dates and stay tuned for details!
- In 2015, through its Partners In Living Initiative, CFRI provided individual counseling to residents of California who are impacted by cystic fibrosis, including those with CF, their family members and caregivers. NO one was turned away due to lack of funds. Please check back for updates on our 2016 programming.
- Our annual CF Summer Retreat provides support, education and fun in a safe environment for people with CF, as well as their friends and family. This year's CF Summer Retreat will take place at Vallombrosa Center in Menlo Park, California from August 16th to August 21st. Participants will look forward to educational presentations, art, yoga, rap sessions, support, community and more! Please stay tuned for details about registration.
I first learned of CFRI in 1989, when my daughter Lucy was born and diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. My husband and I attended our first conference the following year and have been “regulars” ever since. The knowledge, as well as the comfort we have received over the years from CFRI’s annual conference, newsletter, Discovery Series, and countless other resources has allowed us to be informed advocates for our daughter. The cutting-edge research that CFRI funds annually has led to significant breakthroughs in the treatment of CF, and as a result benefits Lucy and the entire CF community by providing hope and bringing us closer to a cure. I served on the Board of Directors for six years and know first hand how dedicated the CFRI staff, volunteers, and researchers are to improving the lives of those living with cystic fibrosis. CFRI is a lifeline to everyone affected by CF!
Mother of a Young
Adult with CF